A couple of other updates from January, a month in which I have had neither the time nor the inclination to write on my blog:
- After running 40k through the Dales, my knee got cross with me and wouldn't let me run anymore. I took a week off, icing regularly and giving it Total Rest, and it got worse. The following week I did a buttload of yoga, and my knee has started responding positively. When I break the course record at the Fellsman in April I'm going to thank K. Pattabhi Jois in my victory speech1.
- A trip up to Haughtongreen revealed a massive hole in the stove's flue pipe. I have only a vague sense of how to fix this—but the wizened hands at the Mountain Bothies Association probably have a combined four or five centuries' worth of experience with solid fuel stoves, so aid is at hand.
- We started watching For All Mankind on Apple TV+, a television program about NASA set in a world where the Soviets beat the United States to the moon. Continued competition between the nations drives all sorts of hijinx, and it's fun to imagine a world where space exploration receives abundant government funding—but the program is hampered by weak characters who spend most of each episode telling us how they feel or discursing at length about their pasts. Solid B grade.
- We started redoing the bathroom downstairs, and while the furnishings are still strewn in pieces throughout the hallway, I at least know now what the various parts of a sink are and how they fit together.
- It is extremely unlikely that I will ever break the course record at the Fellsman.
Posts Stream Books Walks • Clear filters
Weeknotes 17 July
Joining a running club, attending Middlesbrough Front End, getting my bike tuned up, competing in a triathlon
Getting back into it.
Currently showing latest 20 posts